And now, my secret project is complete! And here it is! MY LITTLE SKA BAND: TWO TONE IS MAGIC! Alright, let me give a quick explanation. Ska is a music genre that originated in Jamaica in the 50s and is the precursor to rocksteady and reggae music. You might know popular ska bands like No Doubt
, The Mighty Mighty Bosttones
, and Reel Big Fish
. And two tone (sometimes called '2 Tone') is a type of ska originating from England that fuses elements of ska, punk rock, rocksteady, reggae, and New Wave. Two of the most notable bands of two tone are The English Beat
and The Specials
Now that I just dropped some knowledge on you about music history, I have done the unthinkable and mixed ponies with a ska band. Why you may ask I did this? Because I love the genre, I love ponies, and I can totally see the mane cast in a ska band together. I kind of imagine that they would be like one of the local bands were I'm at, Slightly Stoopid
, and that their sound would be freaking awesome.
So here is the why on who would be doing what in the band:
- Twilight Spakle: Of course she would be on vocals! I mean, her voice actress is Tara Strong
, who is a great singer in her own right! But of course, that doesn't mean that others can't join in and sing with her! EDIT: Okay, it has been brought to my attention that Tara does not do Twilight's singing voice (that honor would be to Rebecca Shoichet
, and I believe it might be due to the fact that Tara had to return to California during the recording, my guess anyway), however, Tara Strong still is an impressive singer.
- Applejack: Does that guitar look familiar? It should, since it's a Gibson Les Paul Heritage Cherry Sunburst
, the same guitar that I had Applebloom play with the Cutie Mark Crusaders
(but I've gotten better since). And sure, AJ has more of an Allman Brothers Band
feel, but that doesn't mean she can't play a little ska and reggae!
- Fluttershy: She would seem perfect for the bass. A soft background type of instrument. If I were to place her in a genre to play her bass in, I would say something along the lines of Sigur Rós
, The Album Leaf
, or Death Cab For Cutie
- Rarity: Now, Miss Rarity wasn't as easy as the others for coming up with what instrument, but it seems the keyboard and synths are right up her alley. And if I was to pick a genre for Rarity? I think she would be a perfect fit playing the keys in Blondie
or any other new wave band.
- Rainbow Dash: Dashie just seems at home on the drums. And for that matter, she seems like she would have the energy of Jimmy Chamberlin
of The Smashing Pumpkins
, going back and forth from thrashing to shoegazing in the same song.
- Pinkie Pie: And finally, Pinkie Pie! I think she is right at home here, playing brass in a ska band, need I say more?
And so, with that, I finish my secret project that was months in the making. I do ask you when you have time to listen to the songs I have linked at the bottom, which I listened to while drawing, inking, and coloring this.
Goodness, this was hard. the instruments were so hard (AND THAT EVIL TROMBONE, I NOW REMEMBER WHY I QUIT THAT INSTRUMENT). And Twilight Sparkle looks so freaking derp. Not happy about that, but I'm just happy I got this out.
The instrument Applejack has has is Gibson Les Paul.
The instrument Fluttershy has is a Fender Jazz Bass.
The instrument Rainbow Dash has is a Yamaha Drumkit.
Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Twilight Sparkle all belong to My Little Pony (c) Hasbro
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was made for television by Lauren Faust
The songs that I listened to while drawing this:
"Small Axe" by Bob Marley And The Wailers [link]
"No Woman, No Cry (Live)" by Bob Marley And The Wailers [link]
"My Town" by Buck-O-Nine [link]
"Down Down Down" by The Expendables [link]
"Sacrifice" by The Expendables [link]
"Superman" by Goldfinger [link]
"The Impression That I Get" by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones [link]
"Where'd You Go?" by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones [link]
"Spiderwebs" by No Doubt [link]
"Sunday Morning" by No Doubt [link]
"No Control" by Pepper [link]
"Another Day In Paradise" by Reel Big Fish (Phil Collins cover) [link]
"Sell Out" by Reel Big Fish [link]
"Jimi" by Slightly Stoopid [link]
"2 AM" by Slightly Stoopid [link]
"Closer To The Sun" by Slightly Stoopid [link]
"Zeplike" by Slightly Stoopid [link]
"Wiseman" by Slightly Stoopid [link]
"Castles Made Of Sand" by Slightly Stoopid [link]
"Ghost Town" by The Specials [link]
"Gangsters" by The Specials [link]